Monday, May 4, 2009

Lox, Bagels, Rugalach, Mondel Bread and More

My longtime friend Patrick is in town and we have lots planned. Every time I see him, I remember why I keep him as a friend. We have over 10 years of history and he has watched me go through a lot. He is always a gentleman, always wanting the best for me, an excellent business man, very intelligent and always connected whether Portland or Paris.

Lunch a couple days ago was champagne, foie gras and scallops and two kinds of wine, yummy.

Enjoyed the afternoon at a local, but very large contemporary art event. It was quite impressive and both of us found art we took to heart. I may go visit the artist next week to discuss buying a piece. We had special mint tea made for us…

Meeting many of his friends and colleagues this coming week.

His friend is hopefully taking us to synagogue Friday night.

Steven is professor at two business schools. He says I can teach my Google class in English as all who are in business school speak English. He thinks there is much opportunity for this class and I should put together a curriculum. When I get home, I am going to update my resume and put together a business portfolio, pictures speak louder than words.

Tonight, we are going to the newest trendy hip spot in Paris and then for some jazz. He has many people for me to meet and things to do.

I guess my travel outside of Paris will have to wait until after he leaves.

I know I am going to Bruges and London but not sure about Versailles. There are just too many things to do.

Morenos is the posh sophisticated very trendy restaurant Patrick took me last night.

You can tell right away this is going to be a different Parisian experience. Modern façade, sleek and modern décor, geometric and colorful shapes. The experience reminded me of the restaurant at the W in NY that Becca loves.. HeartBeat..

Our bartender wanted to make his specialties for us, so we shared a pepper martini and a ginger martini, both unique and fun. Thought how much Travis would like the savory pepper drink. Accompanying our drinks, they brought crudités, tomato with goat cheese, marinated salmon and long cheese sticks with butter cream.. yum.

I see a trend in Paris for serving on granite tiles, very cool presentation. Portions were not large but perfect and succulent. Dessert was over the top. Dancing, laughing, meeting people for fun until I cried uncle and came home at3;30 am, yippee!

Too much fun was had by all. Cleaning, washing, marketing, shopping will get me through today while I wait some special couscous dinner tonight.

Ok so it sounds like I am always eating.. well eating and looking at art.. I suppose the best thing to do while visiting Paris.

The sweet, very young guy at the store today, asked me out for coffee, and told me I have beautiful eyes and am very sympathique. They seem to all say the same thing. Good line, don’t ya think.

On my way out this morning, I ran into my friend Philippe. It feels so cool to randomly run into someone I know. He thought it was pretty strange as he was only in my neighborhood because he was visiting the doctor and on his way to work. Made me feel like I am home.

Spent the entire day in the Jewish area. First I had to find the food. Ate the yummiest lox and bagels.. in Paris, which came with more than the normal accoutrements. Along with normal lox, cream cheese, tomatoes and capers, they included extra think sliced salmon (like sushi) a container of salmon spread, some salmon roe and tepanade.. funny, huh, I ate it all.

Spent more time at the Holocaust Center than the Musee of Art & History Jewish. They were both very similar to ones that Becca & I have visited other than the history went further back. Very limited pictures, not allowed, however the pictures are in my brain.

More food, found some rugalach and mondel bread..and some type of almond paste (marzapin) covered figs. Shopped and finally found a small gift that I have been searching for since I got here. Literally walked all day long until every piece of my body hurt.

Tomorrow night, I am having dinner with Patrick again and his friend that is head of civil service, police & fire. Thought a lot about what I need to do to teach in Paris. They want a resume, a portfolio and a draft of a curriculum. All of these, I could easily put together.

So as it turns out, my landlord Catherine rented this apt. to me for the extra two weeks. As she had people coming to stay here, she had to put them in her home. She was going to stay at her brother in laws apt, also has a country home, but decided to rent something. I think she is fond of me now and wanted me to feel settled. It was much generosity for her to allow me to stay and make all inconveniences for her.

She has some papers to write and wanted to find a place to be inspired. She is a very sweet and kind person. Patrick is going to stay here when he comes back. She & I will be having dinner as soon as I have time.

I need/want to make a plan for Mother’s Day as without my girl, I need to stay busy, so no sad. I am sending Becca to Gramma Gail as a gift from me to my mother and it is a gift Becca can give her mother and grandmother, so a quick trip to LA for my little one.

I probably need to quit shopping. I keep finding things for Becca.. and small treasures to add for all my girls. I have to start sending some things home soon.

It is not, if I will come back to Paris, but when – is September too soon.. oh my.

Love ya’ll to Paris and back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment