Friday, May 1, 2009

Chartres and Life in Paris


Time flies when you’re having fun and exploring something you love as much as I love Paris.


I remember a few nights ago, I was out on the town for that much awaited well coursed dinner with accompanying live jazz. Plenty of wine and some yummy Cointreau with the dessert designed in St. Tropez…you just know that is going to be sinful.


A couple days ago, I was lunching at St. Michel followed by wandering at Isle St Louis. Munching on roasted eggplant, marinated tomatoes & green beans, on toast with grilled goat cheese on top, I met a great couple from Sacramento who have been here since November and staying until October – one whole year. Wow, they gave me more ins and outs than anyone while keeping me company during my very relaxing repas.


Pariscope – every temporary and permanent exhibit, theater, cinema, walks, meetings, anything going on in Paris, with reminders of all the stuff they didn’t mention. It’s weekly and you have to buy it at a tabac.


American Library – a central point for social/educational events and walks with side tracks to all kinds of other American gatherings.


Shakespeare & Company – English books, someone is always playing piano in back and you don’t have to buy a thing. You can sit down, pick up a book and read. Loved it.


Café Universal – People helping people with anything you need.


I wandered Notre dame and happened upon the mass. That night I ate an apricot and pistachio tart with flan for dinner. Better go back to my theory I told Becca, if I take this whole trip and don’t gain weight, I will be happy. I thought with all the walking, I might lose weight, but it wouldn’t be as much fun if I didn’t splurge.


I am in better shape and walking (or moving my body in some way) 5 out of 7 days a week is the secret for my health.


The last 24 hours were incredible. I now know the metro, short distance and long distance trains. From Paris, through Versailles and finally to Chartres.


Quaint Medevial Town complete with Chartres Cathedral next door neighbors to our quaint B&B. I originally prejudged what I didn’t know or understand. Once I let go and decided to be led, the experience really began for me.


I really had no idea what to expect but it was an incredible experience. Mass & music upon arrival followed by a lovely dinner, great conversation and exploring the little village. I was going to bed and heard more music outside, thought I would check it out, only to find a light show on the church with music coming out of speakers everywhere. I have tried to capture some of it for you. I am posting the pictures that are not right, or perfect, or normal, so you can sort of see the spectacle. I didn’t know how to shot this correctly so I was basically exploring.


Perfect petite dejeuner and off to walk the labyrinth. Commentary for this experience will wait for another time, if at all, as I continue to process. Something I wish everyone could experience. Nudged and urged, I took Malcolm’s tour, and that suited me perfectly. I was in awe and spent most of it with my mouth open and probably could have followed him for several hours.


My new friend Lisa is an extremely intelligent woman with a passion for the history of this town and Cathedral, its story and symbolism's within the stories. She is a gifted educator and was the perfect guide for my effortless journey.


Burned down in 853, and several times following, this church stands as a 12th century Medieval Cathedral. I am slightly overwhelmed by the experience… in several ways for several reasons. If you want to know anything about Notre Dame de Chartres Cathedral, you can just Google it. The pictures should show the magnificence of it all.


I love taking my long line to my short line to get home tonight. I love being able to stop and get salad rolls and fruit and opening the door to my apartment. I love Paris. My cup runneth over. I am busy the next couple days, but I will be back. Enjoy the photos and some music from Chartres Cathedral.

1 comment: