Monday, May 11, 2009

Medieval Escape to Bruge

I may have never mentioned that, and many people know, the Eiffel Tower lights up the sky on the half hour every single night. Aside form the sparkly lights all over the Tower, it beams a light across the city, larger than I have seen. From my apartment, barely through the shrub sitting on top of the building across from me, I can see a couple/few little sparklies twinkling, but there is no strain or squint necessary to easily see the powerful beacon from my terrace.

I walked to the metro at about 6:15 yesterday to get to my tour place. I like the confidence I have now for getting anywhere on the metro.. Figured out that a big air conditioned but is not a plane and I cannot read or write, which gave me lots of thinking/processing time.

I was ancy from the first 4 hours drive. Wanting to wander a larger portion of the town, I broke away quickly from the guided walking tour. Found too many gifts to add to the pile. I got lost as I seem to do. Ended up in the real part of town vs the old part with all the tourists and they were having a carnival and huge run around the city. I got a couple pictures at the end as we boarded our bus.

The old woman in the doorway is spindling Belgium flower lace. She is tatting. Bruges is the last place that makes hand made flower lace. Most is machine made with hand touches made in China & Taiwan.

Took a bunch of pictures but the little ‘Venice of the North’ really deserves an overnight. I immediately headed for food since I hadn’t eaten yet. Other than legally smoking pot, a cool memory about Amsterdam was french fries and mayonnaise. Fries are Belgium by origin, klein friets, small fries..with mayonnaise although they offer several sauce choices for about $2. I don’t even eat mayonnaise, but I partied on down with my klein friets. Yummiers.. .

Walked the big square, went with my group on the canal ride, and then shopped. I found a store with yummy delicacies.. some of that fabulous white asparagus.. and a whole cooler case of little canapés waiting for a poo poo platter to happen. I had to take a picture, asked the owner and then ordered a few.

Half a white potato with crème fraise and salmon roe… -we love that in our family..

Pumpernickel bread with cheese loafed and sliced like a checkerboard cubes.

Pinwheel of artichoke, cheese, some meaty, vegetables.. can’t remember exactly.

Seems a little nuts of me to go 4 hours back and forth to see Bruge, to spend 5 hours, but I am glad I did. Lugging home kilos of chocolate boxes and bags of silly things, I had to laugh at myself.

Really tired today form the big day out or was it just too much bus time. I had to type up my curriculum this morning and get it emailed. The idea of my marketing seminar at home was pretty cool, but it was still just a business. The real turn on for me was to find a way to make a life doing something I know in Paris. Cause for me, Paris is cooler than cool, and makes me fuzzy all over. It may not happen so quickly, but at least I got to catch the buzz.. the buzz that makes you want to practice.

Laundry list of things to do today and I am still strong at it. Since I was supposed to be home last week, I am in catch up mode all the way around personally and for work.

Tomorrow is London, and even though our tour guide told me I will not have time to really do anything, (odd sales approach) I am really excited to even get a few hours to take in some essence of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment