Monday, April 27, 2009

Further Wanderings

Steak and frites, sunshine and blue skies, enjoying lunch on a boat on the Seine, really, what could be better. Walking all over Paris, breathing it in, learning more French –sometimes there are too many tourists in Paris, wish they would go home.

Evening champagne picnic with all the trimmings. Beautiful spring day in Paris.

Woke up to an Antique Fair across the street at the train station. If I lived here, I would have bought things. Unusual and interesting old furniture, perfect to find a vanity, bureau, side table. Lots of materials, lace, silver, lamps and clocks. International flavor with tables specializing in Japanese, Chinese and Moroccon.

Wandered up to Mouffetard, which is still one of my favorite off the path places. The Pantheon is in my area so I knew eventually I would go. Not so into the religious part of it all, but I very much respect the culture and history that is represented.

Voltair, Rouseau and Descartes are there along with Joan of Arc, Kings. Aside from the crypts, there are walls of vaults. The huge dome ceiling is held by the columns within the structure. Hundreds of years old and standing proud, it was worth the time and the walk.

One small group of friends enjoying dinner on their boat on the Seine. Yummy white asparagus, truly the size we decided of a long skinny penis.. with some vinegarette.. the best. Pasta with too much fresh parmesan, many different wines, salad and tastefully chosen cheeses. New friends, lots of fun conversation, talking about art and the world and eventually even Susan Boyle. I hope my even newer friends become better friends, so I have lots of opportunities to speak French and learn the world that is Paris.

Standing back and wondering why I love Paris and what makes it different from other places, but especially Portland. What makes Paris is the tourists, the visitors, and the wanderers. People from all over the world are here to see and feel what Paris has to offer. The other large cities that I love have it, SF, Vancouver, NY etc... 2.15 million people live within 40 square miles. And with the addition of the tourists, Paris becomes 10X as dense as Manhattan.

Yesterday was another one of those, clean my house, do the wash, change the sheets, pay bills (online) do marketing, reconcile the bank stuff and relax.

I was late getting out today as my landlord Catherine wanted to make sure life was going well and to see what I needed. Nice visit. I love my apartment and am very comfortable. She hasn’t seen me in a couple weeks and says it looks like I have lost weight..

I have now made a list of what I haven’t seen and done in Paris so I can make sure it all gets done. I also have the rest of my out of town activities to do.

Today I actually followed a walking tour out of a book for Champs Elysees and the Arch de Triomphe area. It was my favorite sort of following my nose day, very enjoyable, but windy and cold day. I had a complete mid day lunch, my first, chilled and ate and of course, that moment could not have been better.

Decided as I passed the Andy Warhol exhibit, that I might as well take a look. It was on the pricey side of costs. While a pop art icon, it seems he found something that worked and stuck with it. I guess they all do that which is why it usually revolutionizes art for that period. The coolest part of the exhibit is that every picture was someone famous. I imagine he had a very interesting life, although quite tumultuous as I understand. I didn’t read much or buy anything, but I did read a post that said, he did not care who he painted, it was $25,000 a picture, and he would paint anyone. Really enjoyed the video room with him in different videos, dressed in drag on SNL, some interviews and such.

Walked a lot today. I love Paris. I love stopping and finding what I want to eat all the time. Do you want pizza, crepes with anything, waffles with anything, breads and bakery of every kind. Sandwiches yummy, all kinds, and all the little bistros, with their awnings and heaters, waiting to welcome you for some chillin. I love the metro. I love the rivers and the bridges and that they are part of the event, all were built with huge sidewalk areas to walk. You have queue access to the bottom of the river as well. Love people watching.

None of these people are fat. I can tell an American man as he is wearing washed out jeans and his belly is hanging over his belt. Bums and some old men and some old women are chubby but Parisians are healthy looking, I won’t even say thin because they are all just seem to have healthy looking bodies. No fake boobs, no fake nails, I do not even see many nails which are polished. They are simpler and seem to concentrate on other happiness’s.

With my extended time frame, I guess I am now half way through my journey. I haven’t been this comfortable and inspired by life for years. As always excited for tomorrow.

Btw, the rain that was looming all day waited until I got off the metro and hit my street.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, it sounds like you are having the best of times. You know me anything on the water is grand. Everyone looks healthy probably becaue they walk everywhere. We have become so lazy here. Jump in the car to go three blocks to the store. I for one am going to try to walk more and smell the flowers. Missing you but loving your blogs and your stories. Much Love

    ReplyDelete