Thursday, April 16, 2009

Flowers & Art

Well it seems that everyone misses my adventures but there are only so many hours in a day. I am once again exhausted. While it is everything fabulous, it is hard work, lots of walking, too many people everywhere, not to mention, for me, talking french is somewhat challenging and tiring. I have lost so much french, it is really difficult. The French all think I speak well but I am pretty sure that is because they are use to Americans who cannot speak at all.

So yesterday i started out with the idea that I would do nothing. I packed all my goodies for a picnic, brought a book, my postcards, camera etc and went to the jardin de plantes, next door, actually something in my neighborhood.

I enjoyed a couple hours quiet and alone until i met Stephane. I noticed him as he was singing to someone on the phone. Then a huge gust of wind, HUGE, blew billions of cherry blossoms towards us, we looked at each other and laughed and he said something about it was like winter snow. On parle un peu.

Briefly, he is doing his practicum at the hospital to become a psychologist. Ironically, or not, he works with cancer patients. After chatting a bit, he asked me if I wanted to go do something with him when he was done with a couple of patients. OK, why not, let's try again.

Met him later and we really enjoyed a nice evening. We went on the RER, train, not metro, to have a drink. We went for yummy express sushi and then to the movie.. American, in English.. the new Tommy Lee Jones movie. It was all very relaxing and a whole lot of fun and I got to speak oodles of french. He brought me home, he knew my fear of being lost, and then turned around to go home outside of Paris. We have a plan for a picnic at Versailles on Sunday.

So today, I used Becca's museum pass and went to Musee D'Orsay. I am somewhat an art snob, I like what I like, period. I suppose we are all like that. Things haven't changed, I still like what I like - mostly Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, Renoir, Lautrec and Pissaro. These have been my artists of choice my entire life. Fell for Pissaro 10 or so years ago in NY. When I saw Monet's haybales, it made me cry. I am sure I was the only one in the musee crying, some things touch my heart and there is nothing I can do...just me, still and always the 'big emotion' girl. It was all quite lovely but i must say that we have had some very nice visiting displays in Portland. There were no Lilly Pads, but I heard they are in the Louvre. I think since I have seen all Impressionist art everywhere from NY to SF, I was not overwhelmed by the amount.

I was tired, can't seem to get untired. On my way home, since I hadn't eaten and becca seems to have some concern that i actually eat more than bread & ham, really why, I went for a nice meal.

Enjoyed beef bourgogne, super yummy with wine sauce and potatoes, and I ate every bite. Since I have only been eating packaged orange choc cookies, I decided to grab a fresh tart on the way home for later. Tough life in Paris..

So I am home early, very tired. Going to quickly do this blog, put up the pics and watch a movie. Nan sent me with some good ones and have enjoyed them all.

Serendipity Day After Tomorrow Family Man (really enjoyed that) Made of Honor

Any ideas how to make my body not ache or my feet not swell. Why am I so tired, this is not for the faint of heart. I have to get to the Louvre tomorrow on my 2 day pass, only really interested in the Impressionists..sorry but it's what I like.

I apologize in advance but it is very hard to get pictures in the museum, I did not always have time to frame properly.. my biggest surprise was to see Whistler's Mother, not because it is one I like, but OMG, it is Whistler's Momma..so famous.

Saturday night is my very fancy and exciting dinner & show at Moulin Rouge.

Here is my menu which comes with half a bottle of champagne. It is a dressy event.

Mise en Bouche
***
Foie Gras de Canard, Figue Confite
ou
"Nage" de Coquilles Saint-Jacques au Vouvray
***
Filet de Boeuf "Rossini",
Pommes Gaufrette
ou
Braisage de Daurade "Dugléré"
***
Fromage de Chèvre Frais aux Raisins
ou
Coupe "Martini" aux Fraises, Sorbet Litchee
ou
Panna-Cotta au Chocolat Blanc,
Sauce "Cacao Noir"



2 comments:

  1. hello Debbie !
    Being tired when visiting Paris is quite normal.
    That's the same with me every time I go, walking and walking all day long, many people, many cars, noisy...
    To relax your feet, you should put off your shoes and drop them in hot salted water and stay there about 15 minutes, it's a dream !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics you did get, I am with you on art choices. So glad you are liking the movies, Family Man is good, kind of a Sliding Doors. How nice to met someone nice and share a movie and meal with. Can't wait to hear about Moulin Rouge, always wanted to go there, next time. Good advice from Mido about your feet. Did I tell you how much I love your blogs. Want you to have the best of times and meet most interesting people. Breathe, Relax and Enjoy lOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete