Friday, April 10, 2009

What goes up must come down.


Sort of manic when you think about it. Jet lag sucks.


Woke up feeling creaky, stiff, achy and old. This much walking would have been easier last year when I was running. I am out of shape.

BUT, it is 9pm, I am in and have eaten and am already feeling like I might be tired at my normal bedtime. Last night, I had to take an ambien at 2am to get to sleep. So there is the big news from Paris.. the old creaky gal is in on her first wild & crazy Friday night in Paris.

BUT, I have plans for tomorrow night. I forgot to mention the owner of the restaurant where I ate last night. Don’t know his name but before my Oregonians dropped in, we were having nice French conversation. I definitely have not gotten to speak enough French yet, isn’t that odd? But as I was leaving and saying good night to Brian & Doug, he came to say good night and told me he would be especially welcome if I came back Saturday night for live blues. So my plan tomorrow is to walk far beyond where that restaurant is, and eat at the square at a choice of 6 or so fabulous places, and then walk home and stop for blues.

I read in one of my books that Galleria Lafayette had a fashion show on Fridays at 3 pm and since my mom can not stop talking about this place, I decided to get up there by 3pm today.

Yummy baguette avec jambon on my way to the Batobus, oh my gosh, I am already in a rut. Got off at the Louvre and wandered the gardens. The galleria is behind the Opera House on Ave de l’Opera, a bit of a walk. I walk up to guest service in perfect time but was told that I needed a reservation and deposit. HHmmm..oh well, guess I am going to tour this place. Sorry, not my thing, maybe with Becca on a crazy whim, but there were too many people, too much stinky perfume, very expensive clothing, and very stuck up sales people..well of course, it’s Dior and Chanel and Fendi and whomever I could care less about.

Anyway, while I was walking up to the galleria, I saw people on the roof..so decided I would try to find my way up there.. almost as hard as finding a toilet..not bathroom.. so odd to say “ou est la toilet”, even in French, it’s a toilet. The view from the roof was worth the walk and the fashion show debacle. And as you can see from the pictures, the store itself is phenomenal..but the view, wow..

Ok moving on, I continue the art of ‘chilling’ in the Place nearby, and although my cafĂ© was 8 euros, I got a chocolate with it. Walked back via Place de Vendome, went back a different way through Place de Concord, which were the statues from yesterday, and wandered back through the gardens. People were out even though the weather was iffy all day, light sprinkles on and off. I decided to take the Batobus home, probably should have taken the Metro, as it stopped everywhere and took an hour of boating..but very good for people watching.

Stopped on the way back for a very nice dinner, have also been enjoying a pastis/pernod/ricard before my meals.. haven’t done that in years. And that’s it, probably does not sound too exciting but I learned a little more about Paris and I think this sleep thing is about over.

I love the way the people line the river bank, in groups or duos or whatever, everywhere. Public drinking must be legal as people openly have beer, wine, champagne – it’s kinda cool. I want to have a picnic on the river or in the Tuilleries Gardens at the Louvre with some champagne.

It is so cosmopolitan. Today the guy that took my picture was from Argentina. I also met a very nice couple from England. Briefly talked with a girl from Isreal. When she figured out where I was from, she said, “you like us”, as if it were a question. I hear every language from German to Spanish to China and back.

All the cafes, bistro, brasserie’s are full in the middle of the day but not so much at night. They are very serious about their lengthy mid day meal.

I can only say again that Paris is unbelievable and absolutely breathtaking. Everywhere you look, in every single cubby on the outside of the Louvre walls, are those statutes. I took only one picture but there must be 50…

Please be sure to look at the Paris album on Facebook. I am only posting a few pictures, assuming you will go look if you are interested.

Special shout out to Martha for taking care of everything so well. She is making it possible for me to be here.

a demain...

















.

1 comment:

  1. hope you are feeling better today auntie. i am jealous about the open market. someday we will go to paris together!

    ReplyDelete