Saturday, April 11, 2009

All of Paris Hit the Streets Today

Tonight I am sitting here shaking my head. I haven’t even gone inside to see anything yet, but I feel like I am going at high speed. There is so much going on, I can hardly take it all in, well I can’t. The whole world was out today.


I had to get to the Marais, that is where I have been before. I am not sure what I did when I was here before, not much, I can assure you. My depressing fog was bigger than I now remember.


Missed the batobus by a second and was absolutely not going to wait 20 minutes. So off I went for my biggest walk yet. Across Pt. Sully, Notre Dame in the distance, it is clear and sunny and the world is walking with me. There are small markets everywhere but I am headed towards Place de Vosages. I got strawberries at one and kiwis at another. Found some bread and water and found a place to ‘chill’. I am a good student, don’t ya think, Miss Becca?


Down Rue St. Antoine which continues as Rivoli, a street where everything is happening, even more than St Germain & Latin Quarter. I grabbed some shots of Hotel de Ville for y’all while I was passing by. But the coolest was Centre George Pompidou, and the whole area surrounding it. Of course I got there right at the end of this demonstration. The the artist completed his work at the same moment I walked up to the area. Apparently he painted this piece upside down, but all I saw was the canvas spinning around, until it stopped and their was a huge gasp from the crowd. I understand that no one had any idea what he was painting until it was unveiled at the precise second I walked up.


There are so many bustling little alleys with bistros and such, I could not decide which way to go. I mean really, how do you decide to go this way or that, when they all look splendorous. I honestly could not take it in. I stood almost frozen with anticipation feeling like a kid in a candy store. Looking at the map and staying close to the Seine, I just keep going. The pictures will tell more than my words could ever tell tonight.

I must learn the metro. I got lost on my way home and felt very frustrated and a little anxious again. If I weave too much inland, I cannot figure out which metro to take. I finally decided to go back to the Seine but the Batobus line was 3 boats long. I walked the whole 40 minutes back to this area. I would not stay in this area again as it is a little far away from most things.


So I was very late to start my night out but decided to go forth. Got ready to go and was feeling good and realized it was raining, not misty but rainy. So glad I had my trench and umbrella cause I was going for another 15 minute walk, and then I got lost. I purposely left my map and Paris book because I knew exactly where I was going… ha, best laid plans. I asked a couple people who directed me, as it turned out, in the wrong direction. I got so nervous and slightly panicked I almost turned around and went home. I mean there was hardly any light left and I could not figure out where I was going. It was sort of like the scene in Made of Honor, where she is lost on the rainy road with all the cows.. lol.


Crossing the street, Samy saved the day. He did not know where exactly I was going but was willing to walk with me and see if we could find it. He knew I had a previous engagement but wanted to leave me safely. I was more concerned now with figuring out how to get home without my map so he ran back a few blocks to his car to get one for me. Of course, he offered to take me home or drive me somewhere and I just kept saying, I do not know you. After he gave me the map, I knew exactly how to go from there. We spent about 20 minutes together and had some nice conversation, but since I have met so many crazies, I am not trusting of my instincts whatsoever.


But finally I agree to meet him at the Tour Eiffel at 1pm for lunch and take his number. I have taken a couple numbers but I think I will call and meet him for lunch. As I said to Becca, he is close to my age, nice looking, fairly trim, works in a bureau, lives in paris, has a car and GPS, I can have a lunch. He was very polite, considerate and not pushy. Unlike the cute drunk French guy I met this afternoon that wanted to take me for a drink. We also had some nice conversation but he had already been drinking some and I was not feeling the vibe.


Ok, so I have to go to bed but let’s not forget the restaurant owner, who I think is actually the manager. He was not there when I got there but came and sat with me a couple times, in between being busy. He has family in NY and comes to the US several times a year. LA ladies, you are going to love this, he is an artist and an actor… he is cute, close to my age and a james dean type, loves Harleys and drives all over the us.. a real bad boy. I will visit him again as we had very nice conversations, but I was really worn out and ready to take my walk back, with my special map (its actually a little book) that Samy said was a ‘cadeaux’.

3 comments:

  1. i love that you didn't go for a ride with the guy you don't know!

    i bet he turns out to be a nice man and you have a great lunch together.

    love you auntie!

    glad you're not going with strangers in cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. debbie, be careful anyway, there are crazy people everywhere, even in Paris !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathe in, breath out
    breathe in, breathe out
    breathe in, breathe out

    pause... collect... and go forth...

    ReplyDelete